For thousands of years these spices have been used for their medicinal value, and we are recently rediscovering these healing properties.
One spice with anti-fungal, anti-bacterial powerful anti-oxidant properties is Turmeric.
The yellowish orange pigment of turmeric, is called curcumin. Curcumin is what is believed to provide the medicinal qualities of turmeric. Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants combat free radicals, reducing and helping to prevent the damage they cause to cell membranes and DNA (3)
In addition, curcumin in an anti-inflammatory as it is shown to lower the levels of two enzymes in the body that cause inflammation. It also stops platelets from clumping together to form blood clots.
Turmeric has long been used in Chinese medicine to treat digestive and liver problems, skin diseases, infections and depression.
Turmeric is currently being researched for possible benefits in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and arthritis. Research shows that other compounds in turmeric to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties as well (1)
The anti-inflammatory effects of Turmeric have been shown “to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs, which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.” (2)
Some good reasons to add turmeric to your cooking: Source: Eat This! (3)
- In laboratory tests, turmeric prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice
- Research shows that when combined with cauliflower, turmeric is shown to prevent prostate cancer, and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
- Turmeric prevent melanoma and kill off existing melanoma cells
- May prevent metastases from occurring in cancers
- Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia
- Tests have proven that turmeric stops the growth of new blood cells in tumors
- Turmeric boosts the effectiveness of some chemo drugs and helps reduce their side effects
May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and works as well as OTC and prescription anti-inflammatory drugs without the side effects. As such Turmeric can be used in the treatment of arthritis.
It is a natural pain-killer
Turmeric is a natural liver detoxifier
Lab tests show promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice
It is an antibacterial agent, and has been used to treat wounds and burns
Turmeric is thermogenic, meaning it can naturally boost metabolism to help burn calories
I have begun to add turmeric to everything!
4. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/turmeric-000277.htm (3)