As I wrote in a previous post, plastic is all around us and it can have some serious adverse health effects.
Cutting out plastics in our lives will not be easy. Plastic is everywhere! Even our sunglasses frames are plastic! But there are a lot of small things we can do which will be better for our health, better for the environment and will save us money. Many of these ideas are simply things that our grandparents did on a regular basis. I welcome your ideas, maybe if we all implement one or two, we can live healthier and help the environment while we are at it.
- Use paper bags, or better yet reusable cloth bags, for groceries. — I try to remember my bags when I go into the store.
- Buy milk and juice in glass jars or tetra paks. — As I buy Almond or Coconut Milk and they come in paper cartons, this is an easy one for me.
- Use glass containers for storing food. — I really have to invest in some of these. I’m still using cheap plastic!
- Buy fresh foods rather than packaged foods that come in plastic trays with plastic wrap. — I do buy mostly fresh food, but now that I think about it, I have some mushrooms in my refrigerator that came on a plastic tray with plastic wrap, and I always put my fresh fruits and veggies in the plastic bags, Hmmm I have some work to do here.
- Wrap food in wax paper rather than plastic. — I suppose we’ll have to get some masking tape to seal the packages?
- Carry water from home in a stainless steel reusable container, rather than buy bottled water. — I’ve been good about not buying bottled water, but let’s see if I can continue once the summer gets here.
- Don’t use plastic utensils. — This summer I’m going to get a cheap set of flatware for outdoor eating, and wash and reuse them!